Online Marketers Trick: Online shopping has become increasingly popular in recent years, with many consumers turning to online stores for convenience and ease of use.
However, many online retailers use tricks to try to get consumers to spend more than they want to. In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the tricks online marketers use to get people to spend more than they want, as well as how to avoid them.
What are Dark Patterns?
Online marketers use dark patterns to manipulate people into spending more than they want to. The Advertising Standards Council of India has identified nine dark patterns that online sellers use to either make you spend more or give away more personal information than you wish to.
Examples of Dark Patterns: Online Marketers Trick
1. Hidden Costs: This is when an online seller adds costs to the price of a product after a customer has committed to the purchase. Such as taxes, delivery charges, or tips. This makes it difficult for customers to accurately estimate the total cost of their purchase.
2. Bait and Switch: This is when an online seller advertises a product at one price. But then charges a higher price when the customer attempts to buy it. This is often done by offering a “limited time” deal and then quickly removing it.
3. Upselling: This is when an online seller tries to get you to purchase a more expensive item than the one you originally intended to buy. This is done by offering a “better” version of the item or by adding items to your purchase.
4. Automated Purchases: This is when an online seller automatically adds items to your cart without your knowledge or consent. This often happens when an online seller has a “recommended” items section.
5. Online Marketers Trick: Pre-Checked Boxes: This is when an online seller has a checkbox that is already checked when you make a purchase. This can lead to customers unknowingly opting in to additional services or products.
Online Marketers Trick: How to Avoid Dark Patterns
1. Read the Fine Print: Before making a purchase, always read the terms and conditions of the product or service, as well as any additional fees that may be associated with it.
2. Compare Prices: Before committing to a purchase, always compare prices from multiple online sellers to make sure you are getting the best deal.
3. Avoid Pre-Checked Boxes: Always make sure to uncheck any checkboxes that are pre-checked when making a purchase. This will help make sure that you are not unknowingly opting in to additional services or products.
4. Shop Around: Online Marketers Trick: Don’t be afraid to shop around. If you are presented with an offer that seems too good to be true, it likely is.
Online marketers often use tricks to get people to spend more than they want to. It’s important to be aware of these tricks and to take steps to avoid falling victim to them. Reading the fine print, comparing prices, avoiding pre-checked boxes, and shopping around are all good ways to make sure you are getting the best deal when shopping online.
Read Also: Panasonic Investment in India 2023