The following list contains the most valuable best online courses that will boost your career and won’t cost you a dime. If you’ve already made up your mind and know what you want to study, head over to one of these 7 categories:
- Programming and computer science
- Web development
- AI and data science
- Digital marketing
1. Programming and computer science – Best online courses
We live in an age of technology. Computers, smartphones and electronic devices have filled our lives and made them much easier.
But with the ever-growing tech industry, there aren’t enough coders to meet the demand. IT experts and coders are hot commodities nowadays and the pay is quite lucrative, to say the least.
If you want to stay ahead of the curve, start coding with one of these courses before it’s as common as knowing how to type:
- Introduction to Computer Science
- Entry-level course that teaches students how to think algorithmically and solve problems efficiently.
- By the end of the course, you’ll become familiar with a number of languages including CSS, HTML, and PHP.
- Programming for Everybody — Getting Started with Python
- Designed to be a first coding class and avoids all but the simplest mathematics.
- Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course.
- Introduction to Java Programming
- Aims to help students develop high-quality, working software that solves real problems.
- Materials are designed for students with some programming experience.
- Introduction to C++
- Provides a fast-paced introduction to C and C++ programming languages.
- Learn the required background knowledge, including memory management, pointers, object-oriented programming.
- Become skilled at finding bugs when you inevitably use any of those incorrectly.
- iOS App Development with Swift Specialization
- Teach you how to create an iOS app and submit your first fully functional product to the App Store before the end of the day.
- Android Basics
- Self-study course aimed at people with no prior experience of coding that will teach you how to create content for the Android platform.
2. Web development – Best online courses
These days, there are few people who can’t read basic code. Everyone from fashion bloggers to journalists and even eBay sellers fiddle with HTML to create and edit their content.
- Introduction to HTML
- Grasp the basics of the HTML syntax and structure of a web page.
- Intro to HTML and CSS
- First step towards a new career as a front-end web developer.
- Besides HTML basics, you’ll learn how to apply styling to a website through CSS.
- With these skills, you can build interactive websites.
- Modern Web Design
- Learn the basics of building a responsive website for mobile devices and tablets, as well as for the desktop.
- Mobile Web Development
- Teach web developers what they need to know to create great cross-device mobile web experiences.
- Learn how to build mobile web apps which will work across most platforms including Android, iOS.
3. AI and Data science
Perhaps you’ve already noticed that. Today’s economy is leaning toward analytics.
Companies have been collecting data for many years. As a result, there’s a huge demand for people who can mine and interpret data.
So once you learn your tools, the jobs are waiting for you — now and in the future, too.
- Introduction to Big Data
- Understand problems with big data and its structure.
- Get a glimpse of programming, too.
- SQL for Data Analysis
- Teach you how to write efficient SQL queries to successfully handle a variety of data analysis tasks.
- Learn to extract data, join tables together and perform aggregations.
- Learn to use sub queries, temp tables and window functions.
- Machine Learning
- Provides a broad introduction to machine learning, data mining, and statistical pattern recognition.
- Statistical Thinking for Data Science and Analytics
- Teach you how data scientists exercise statistical thinking in a variety of ways.
- Learn more about designing data collection and deriving insights from visualizing data.
- The course also talks about obtaining evidence for data-based decisions and constructing models for predicting future trends from data.
- Introduction to Data Analysis using Excel
- Teach you the basics of Excel, one of the most popular data analysis tools.
- Visualize and gain insights from your data.
- Excel is the most desired software skill in today’s workplace, so no matter what’s your attitude towards charts and tables, it should be on your resume.
4. Design – Best online courses
Getting a job in graphic or product design is a dream for many creative individuals. Still, there are a couple of skills you will need to develop.
Just pick one of the following courses that will have you thinking about your first artwork before you’ll even open your Photoshop:
- Fundamentals of Graphic Design
- Teach you the fundamental principles of graphic design.
- Include image making, typography, composition, working with colors and shapes.
- Adobe Photoshop CS6 Essential Tools
- Guide you through the Photoshop user interface and help you acquire the basic techniques for editing and enhancing your photographs.
- Learn Adobe Illustrator: Fundamentals for Beginners
- Walk you through everything you need to know to get started with Adobe Illustrator.
- Drive into its three core elements — shapes, paths and type.
- Graphic Design
- Give you the tools to create professional looking PowerPoint, reports, resumes, and presentations.
- Basic 3D Animation using Blender
- Teach you the core concepts of animation and filmmaking.
- By the end of the course, you’ll know how to create lifelike animations using Blender.
- Hack design
- Easy-to-follow design course.
- Useful curated blogs, books, games, videos, and tutorials.
- Organized into a digestible lesson plan.
5. Digital Marketing – Best online courses
If you want to start a career in one of the fastest developing fields on today’s job market, you’ve come to the right place.
Job demand for SEOs & content marketers is soaring and there’s no better place to learn their skills than online.
- Introduction to Marketing
- Help you understand the psychology of consumer decision making.
- Learn to develop pricing strategies that maximize profitability and understand how marketing metrics can benefit a given company.
- Social Media Strategy for Small Businesses
- Key concepts relevant to social media.
- Learn how to boost customer engagement using platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube along with their secret features.
- Google Analytics Academy
- Help you learn about Google’s measurement tools so that you can grow your business through intelligent data collection and analysis.
- Google Digital Garage
- Let you upgrade your resume with an impressive digital certification.
- These will guide you through everything from search engines to social media and beyond.
- Online Marketing Challenge
- Unique chance for students to get real-world experience creating and executing an online marketing campaign for a real nonprofit.
Speaking and writing may seem like skills that we’ve mastered at the kindergarten. But nothing could be farther from the truth.
In employer surveys, communication skills consistently rank at the top of the list of soft skills. Everyone wants their employees to be able to listen and talk like a professional.
So if you want to advance your career, it’s high time to work a little on your communication skills:
- Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills
- Teach you everything about a successful negotiation.
- It covers planning your negotiation strategy, using key tactics for success, creating a contract and evaluating your performance.
- Business Communications
- Sharpen your writing, presentation and interpersonal communication skills.
- Successful Presentation
- Series of pragmatic videos and exercises. These focus on mastering fear, developing a creative formula and using verbal and body language — the most important skills for any job interview.
- Customer service
- Help you improve communication with future colleagues as well as customers.
- How to Write a Professional Resume
- Brief video that will take you through every step of writing an awesome resume, section by section, in less than 5 minutes.
The world is more interconnected than ever before and the ability to speak more than just one foreign language is often taken for granted.
Most of us used to think English is enough. Well, it’s not anymore. Companies are growing and expanding their international presence. The global economy is simply shifting away from the English-speaking world.
So if you dream of landing a job in virtually any competitive field, having appropriate language skills is a must. Don’t hesitate any further and get ahead of the competition with one of the following courses:
- Basic Spanish 1: Getting Started. It will have you speaking Spanish (and experience its cultural diversity) through a quality drama-filled story. In addition, you’ll listen to an audio program integrated with the text and workbook.
- Basic French Language Skills for Everyday Life. It is a series of engaging video lessons that introduces beginners to various aspects of the French language. After taking this course, you’ll be able to use a range of French vocabulary and have a casual conversation in French. As for the grammar, you’ll get to grips with past, present and future verb tenses.
Best Online Courses for your career
- Mandarin Chinese: First Steps in Chinese. It will teach you basic phrases for everyday life as well as the proper “tones” in Mandarin. In fact many of today’s global business meetings are conducted in Mandarin Chinese. So Basic Mandarin is definitely a great skill to add to your resume.
- Talk German – An introduction to German . It is a lively introduction to the language in ten short parts. So you have to watch and listen to the clips and have a look at the transcript if needed.
- Talk Italian – An introduction to Italian. These include ordering a meal, asking for directions, saying where you’re from and checking in at a hotel.
Good luck getting your dream job!
There are countless opportunities how you can advance your career. But one of the most viable ones (and comfortable, indeed!) is to take an enriching online course.
This will speed up your preparation for a new job and boost your confidence real quick. However, you’ll need to be smart and pick only those courses that best correspond to what you really want to achieve in your career.
The decision will ensure you’ll be constantly moving in one specific direction and won’t be battling on too many fronts.
So if you’ll manage to do just that — you’ve won already.